Refugio Independent School District (map item 1 ) boasts a tradition of excellence in its well-balanced educational and extracurricular programs. Average expenditure per pupil district wide is $11,621 with a student to teacher ratio of 10.57 to 1. As further evidence of the community’s commitment to education, construction of new buildings has recently been completed on two campuses. Shown here are the new facilities at the primary school. That campus serves pre kindergarten, kindergarten, and grades 1-6, totaling approximately 420 students.
Newly completed Refugio Junior High, directly adjacent to the high school, serves 7th and 8th grades totaling approximately 120 students. The building boasts state-of-the-art computer labs, networking, science labs, and instructional aids. Gymnasiums, tennis courts, auditorium, lunchroom, libraries, and other facilities are shared with those of adjacent Refugio High School.
Refugio High School originally built in 1954 and now thoroughly modernized, is steeped in tradition having produced world class athletes, doctors, lawyers, engineers, and a host of other professionals. Community pride is evident resulting in high attendance at sporting events as well as academic competition.
No mention of Refugio High School would be complete without noting their prowess in Football. Advancement deep into the playoffs every year is a given. Two state championships and appearances in another state final game assures a full stadium every Friday night in the Fall. Boys and girls track teams together share 12 state championships. The high school band is equally outstanding. Fully 75% of Refugio High School students participate in at least one sport (both boys and girls) or the band with many participating in both.
Refugio ISD offers the following:
- Full-day kindergarten program provides instruction in language arts, math, science, social studies, health, art, and physical education.
- Gifted and talented program challenges students who have shown above-average potential in general intellectual ability.
- Child nutrition program offers nutritionally balanced meals to students.
- Curriculum includes a variety of elective courses in Career and technology Education, Fine Arts, and Foreign languages.
- Extracurricular activities include participation and competition on all campuses in academics, fine arts, and athletics through UIL or other co-curricular events.
- Special education services include a life-skills program, resource classes, inclusion programs, and learning labs unique to each campus.
- ESL instruction is available on every campus to help students progress from their primary language to English.
- Title I supplemental services assist students on all campuses in reading and/or math,
- Computer labs on all campuses provide a variety of courseware to enrich curricula with technology.
- Media Centers provide state-of-the-art technology equipment for students.
http://www.refugioisd.net/ Phone: 361 526-2325 Fax 361 526-2326