Mitchell-Simmons-Wales House "Anaqua"
Located in the 900 block of Commerce street (map item 82), this home, named for the large Anaqua trees which grace its grounds, is the 1940 remodeled version of the 1902 home built for rancher Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Mitchell. Built in a traditional Victorian style, it replaced an earlier structure built by Mrs. O'Brien's grandfather, Michael Whelan. That structure is believed to have been the first large frame building in Refugio.
Mitchell's ranching interests are still operated by his descendants today. One of Mitchell's daughters married an oilman, William Joseph Simmons, who came to Refugio with the "oil boom" of the 1920's. They inherited and remodeled the house in 1940.
The Simmons decorated the home with fine antiques, oriental rugs, chandeliers and other exotic furnishings.
The Strauch/Allison House
Located in the 100 block of East Plasuela in Refugio (map item 83), the Strauch house was built as a family home in 1910 by George Strauch, founder of George Strauch Lumber Co. Strauch built many of the outstanding structures in Refugio including Our Lady of Refuge Catholic Church. The house is an example of Colonial revival style architecture with classic Greek Ionic columns.
Outstanding features besides its sturdiness are its interior woodwork and staircase. The large entrance hall is wainscoted with polished curly pine four feet high, and has a cornice, a molding twelve inches wide, hand made by Mr Strauch himself.
The dining room on the north side, running almost the entire width of the house, has wide floor boards, is paneled in curly pine, and has a large oak mantle above the fireplace. The bannistered stairway is also paneled in curly pine ...Mr. and Mrs. James Allison are the current owners of the house.
The Heard-Jeter-Reilly Home
Built in 1899 by Clinton Heard, this later Victorian two-story structure became the home of Mr. and Mrs L.R. Jeter in 1926. It is constructed of cypress wood and contains floors of Florida pine which were placed by the Jeters. Mrs E. L. Jones, the Jeters' youngest daughter, sold the residence to Mr. and Mrs. Sam Reilly in 1982.
The Reillys restored the home to its present state. For a brief time the structure was used as an upscale tearoom.
The house is located on Power Street, behind Our Lady of Refuge Catholic Church on the banks of the Mission River. (map item 84)